Look, we’re all excited for SSBU. How could we not. Well, I’m tired of waiting and with SALTI wrapping up it’s first season tonight, I want to announce my first 1-on-1 League, simply called, The Amiibo League. In keeping with the idea of trying to get ready for SSBU, the tournament will be set up in such a way as to simulate the SSBU gameplay changes as best we can. May I suggest you come inside and see what it is we are trying to do?
So, first of all, this will be my usual Seasonal format. If you’re unfamiliar with it, the Seasonal format starts with a Regular Season where Amiibos fight against different opponents and they gather a record. The number for this season will likely be 14 or 15. Once everyone has played their 14 or 15 matches, then the top 16 teams with the best records will be seeded and fight against one another in a double-elimination, best of 3 Playoffs with the finals being a best of 5.
If things go according to schedule, the playoffs will happen December 4th & 5th, RIGHT before SSBU gets released so we should be at our most ravenous and hungry for SSBU in the middle of the playoffs. I don’t know about you but I can already feel the tingling in hy hands. My body is ready.
“So Splice,” you say with casual aplomb, “You said you’d be trying to simulate the SSBU Gameplay. What’s that about?” Well, my friend. I’m glad you asked. Here is the ruleset with explanations behind each rule that is a bit… different.
- Sign-up and .bin files are due October 6th. Tournament starts October 9th, at 5pm Pacific-8pm Eastern on twitch.tv/Splicestream.
- 2 lives apiece. Timer set to 6 minutes. Sudden Death on.
- Max 32 Amiibos in the Amiibo League. 1 Amiibo per trainer.
- Amiibos can NOT have any Custom moves (reasoning: we have zero evidence Custom Moves will be a feature of SSBU)
- Amiibos can NOT have any Bonus Effects equipped (reasoning: We have zero evidence equipment will be a feature of SSBU)
- Amiibos stats must be set to 0 Attack/0 Defense/10 Speed (reasoning: SSBU seems to have a slightly faster game speed than Smash4. This is an attempt to simulate that by making all Amiibos slightly faster. If you cannot edit your Amiibos stats easily, I can edit your .bin file for you manually with my Amiibo PowerSaves)
- Items off
- Handicap set to 40% (reasoning: 1-on-1 damage is increased in SSBU. This is to simulate the damage increase)
- Launch Rate is set to 0.8 (reasoning: Offset the early damage increase due to the handicap being on. Also, this will simulate the new launch physics… kind of. Admitedly this is more about offsetting starting at 40%)
- -The prize for the winner of this tournament will be a Splatoon Inkling Girl Amiibo (from the series of Amiibos released in May of 2015) cheaply painted gold like a trophy because I’m not that good at arts and crafts. In Amiibo League I will be trying to make the trophies more current ones.
- Levels- SSBU has an enormous list of stages and with the options to turn of stage hazards and create battlefield versions of levels, even more stages will be available than before. To simulate this we will have a mix of levels that will be played in their normal forms, stages that will be played in their Ω form, and custom stages meant to feel like stages that will be available in SSBU. The full list of stages can be seen on the sign up sheet
Now, admitedly, this falls well short of fully simulating SSBU. There is little I can do to simulate diminishing returns on dodges, only one air dodge, changes to characters move sets, and, of course, the lack of the new characters. But I want to get a tournament together that gets us fully hyped for SSBU and this is the best way I can think to do it.
So… you want in? Well, I have a handy sign-up form ready for you! It has a full list of what I need to get started. There will be a max of 32 Amiibos allowed so first come first serve is in effect. If you need me to edit your Amiibos .bin file for you, just please let me know.
I know the rules are a bit wonky as we try to simulate SSBU as best we can but I ask you embrace the hype of it all. It should be a fun time. At the time of this writing there are 73 days left to SSBU being released (thanks for the countdown Cloud) and I want to get as pumped as I can for every single one.
Now, some of you may be asking, “Splice. Season 00? That implies you plan to do future Amiibo League Seasons. Is that true? If so, why not call this Season 01?” Well, that’s a fair question. Mostly because this tournament is designed to get READY for SSBU and has weird rules. Future Amiibo Leagues I’m planning on using more standard rule-sets but keep the seasonal format I like to stream. However, as SSBU isn’t out yet, we don’t really know what “tournament standard” Amiibo Combat will look like.
“Does that mean there won’t be future S.A.L.T.I. tournaments?” Also a good question and the answer is there WILL be future S.A.L.T.I. tournaments but I’m thinking of maybe alternating between S.A.L.T.I. and Amiibo League on my Tuesday/Wednesday streams so that it never gets too stale. I may even throw in a few one-off tournaments for fun. We’ll see where the future takes us!
Regardless, I’m really looking forward to all this and hope you’ll enter! If you do enter, consider showing up for your matches when they occur because things are more fun when the, “Good lucks” fly before the match, the reactions occur during it, and the “GG”s end it.
As usual, if you have any questions feel free to give me a poke on Discord. Until then though…
Make good decisions.